Thursday, January 26, 2012

CuRREntLy WoRKing oN!


Here's to my second week with Paint Party Friday 
This week I've been working on several things all at once!
The most fun has been painting the assignment for
week four of the
free Strathmore Workshop I've been taking...
I'm not quite done with it but will walk you through a quick
step-by-step lesson of what I have so far...(just in case you still 
haven't signed up yourself or don't have time)!
The very first step is just doodling on your surface,
anything at all!  I wrote about the color BLUE because I knew
this piece was going to have a blue background and because I love
it so much!
Several layers of acrylic paint have been applied using  paint, stamps and stencils...
My stencil is a recycled plastic doily and one of my stamps
is the back of a Starbucks coffee sleeve! I added white for variation.
After the blues dried, I stamped my piece with fluorescent 
pink and orange paint using an old medicine bottle and a tiny plastic lid.
I really like how these colors pop on the blue background!
To add flowers, I painted a handmade foam stamp.
I used two colors and two stamps for this layer.
If you look hard enough you can faintly see the doodles 
from the very first step in the center!
Here's a close up of the layers!
The week 4 lesson is about creating a 
stylized face for our mixed media backgrounds.  So here I have
masked one in...
along with some hair.
While that dried, I cut out a few of the doodles from the week three bonus lesson.
Then I painted the doodles bright colors!
And added more details to the face and hair and more colors.
Little by little I worked on adding layers... allowing the colors to dry in between!
More hair and details, etc... and a color wash for the face!
This is how far I got today...
the next step is adding doodles with markers, ink and 
whatever else my artistic eye calls for!
Many of Traci's doodle girls have only one eye so I did that also.
This was really a fun excursion from all of the other things I
currently have on my plate.
I hope you had fun following along and
give it a try yourself!
Happy Painting!
xoxo

24 comments:

  1. Great fun and wonderful view of your process. Doodle away, and show us when she's finished. xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Corrine! What a fabulous class this has been! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to see how you were able to build a face up, even with such a detailed background!
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Maria! The workshop led by Traci Bautista made it really simple with a video so I'm glad it made sense written! Have a great day and thank you so much for stopping by!
    Renee!
    x0x0

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really fun seeing the steps you're going through to create this piece. You're getting some very interesting textures, layers and depth. Your cheerful colors are really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Debbie! I just visited your blog and LOVE your collage work! Also just followed your blog and would love a "follow" back!
    Have a very creative weekend!
    Renee
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. so nice to meet you and to find your beautiful blog! i'm loving your color palette and seeing all of these gorgeous painted layers! thank you so much for the inspiration! have a wonderful weekend!!!

    -juliette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Renee, Love your lovely lady! thanks for showing your progression! I loved this class by Traci!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the bright and joyful colours in your piece. Sounds as if you are having a lot of fun. Happy PPF, x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your colors were so bright and beautiful. I learned alot by following your steps. How long does it take you to complete a piece like this? It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. my goodness, you are having a regular color festival!! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you did well to remember to stop and photograph it at each step... I always get into it and then forget.... I love the bright colours and movement in the lines... happy ppf

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is lovely!! Great colours too - so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're doing wonderful work. I haven't started week three yet... too many other things going on. I look forward to seeing your completed project.
    Happy PPF! Helen @ Natures Walk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully painted!
    I love seeing the pics of the process!
    Fascinating layers! :)

    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, you did such a fabulous job. I loved seeing all the steps you went through to create this piece. I am doing the Strathmore class too, but I haven't started week 4 yet. It is lots of fun. I just got her new book in the mail today. Love all the brilliant colors you used. It truly makes me smile.
    Blessings,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so cool! And we were both inspired by Traci this week! I LOVE your bold background blues (my fav too ;) and really like the idea of starting with doodling. I would have never thought of that. Thank you for sharing your step-by-step progress, I really love it, xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a cool process and those colors... those colors are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for sharing and showing the tools you use to create your fun art. Wonderful!
    Happy PPF!
    Sheri Cook/HappyHorseStudio

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful creation ~ very creative, colorful and great composition and dazzling! ~namaste, carol (Share the Creative Journey) Happy PPF ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love seeing the steps you took to create such a fun bright piece - Happy PPF :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'M BAAAACK he he, of course I'll follow, your blog & art is fun which means you are too :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's absolutely beautiful!! It's funny, but I am having a hard time with this lesson. Painting a face gives me more pressure to make something beautiful, and of course I don't succeed LOL Maybe it's just my inner critic acting up, don't now .... Love yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The first thing that came to my brain is, "you go girl" So many bright and beautiful things going on in your studio. Love it
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete

You'll make my day by leaving a comment and following my blog! Thanks for the love.... xoxo

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...